Allergic To Wine

Can You Be Allergic To Wine?

Wine, especially red wine, ensures a range of valuable health benefits. When consumed in moderation, wine can prevent heart diseases and the harmful influence of free radicals on the human body. Visit the online wine shop to explore a wide assortment of wines to every taste and budget. Nevertheless, some people might experience intolerance or allergy to alcoholic drinks, resulting in various unpleasant symptoms. Keep reading to find out – can you be allergic to wine?

Allergy to wine: everything you need to know

The truth is that wine contains multiple potential allergens. For instance, people might be allergic to ethanol – the specific kind of alcohol in wine or yeasts that are common in the fermentation process. Other potential allergens involve sulfites added by winemakers during production or naturally in wine and fining agents that can incorporate specific proteins extracted from eggs or fish. On the other hand, substances such as tannins and histamines can cause intolerance to wine in consumers.

Many people still wonder – can you be allergic to one type of wine? In general, most wines on the current market include the mentioned potential allergens. However, red wine is considered to provoke allergies most often. According to one recent study, more participants reported allergy-like symptoms after consuming red wine rather than white wine. The reason is still unclear, but scientists suggest that red wine causes more severe allergies due to the higher content of sulfites. Moreover, red wine interacts with grape skins the longest compared to other wine types. There is a common belief that some potential allergens are contained in the grape skins.

Primary symptoms of wine allergy

The wine allergy symptoms are usually similar to signs of other food allergies. They include shortness of breathing, runny nose, itching lips or throat, nausea, trouble swallowing, vomiting, diarrhea, swelling of the mouth or throat, pain in the abdomen, itchy eyes, etc. It is worth mentioning that some individuals can experience a severe allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis. It typically occurs after consuming grape products, including wine. Anaphylaxis is a medical emergency and requires immediate professional help.

How to prevent wine allergy?

An allergy to alcohol is pretty rare, even though it can affect around 10% of the human population worldwide. If you suspect you have an allergy to a specific wine, it would be best to avoid drinking this beverage. Experiencing any symptoms of an alcohol allergy is the first sign to consult your doctor for further action. Fortunately, there are some medications to relieve allergic reactions in people. 

Once you know, you are allergic to sulfites contained in wine, your best is to avoid any drinks with these substances. Reading a wine label can help you determine whether wine involves potential allergens or not. Since symptoms of an allergic reaction can be genuinely severe, try to refuse to drink alcoholic drinks at all.